Saint Valery sur Somme is found just upriver of the Somme estuary, where a large Natural Reserve is home to France’s largest seal colony.
The marina provides berthing for boats up to 16m length and 2m draft, with 30 visitor places. There is also a canal pontoon beyond the sea-lock gates.
The village grew during the 10th and 11th centuries and was historically significant as the site where William the Conqueror assembled his fleet before sailing over to England in 1066. During the many wars between the French and the English the village passed between French, English and Burgundian ownership. The English destroyed the abbey and cloister in order to strengthen the nearby St Valery castle. In 1431, Joan of Arc, captive of the English, was held prisoner in the local prison where she was then conveyed to Rouen and burnt at the stake. The cell in which she stayed can still be found near part of the old village walls.
Saint-Valery has a station (and out-of-season terminus) of the narrow gauge “Chemin de Fer de la Baie de Somme” (Somme Bay Railway), which is now largely a tourist attraction. Running around the entire length of the bay, this railway connects Le Crotoy with Noyelles-sur-Mer, and Saint-Valery; in the summer season trains also run from Saint-Valery to Cayeux-sur-Mer and the sands at Brighton Plage.
Please call this Marina for berthing rates.